Saturday, March 19, 2005

Walk Like a Zombie, Talk Like a Zombie

I'm down to the final four sections of my manuscript, and I've encountered my first instance of zombie point-of-view. Let's just say I didn't nail it in my first draft. Not that I was trying to, but still ... nowhere close.

I'm thinking the zombies can't have the same objective narrative style as the other characters.

"The zombie pushed open the door. Encountering an obstacle, it pushed harder, leveraging the door open with its body. The cheap hollow-core door began to crack. One more push. The door broke in two. The zombie was in."

That's not an actual excerpt, but it's indicative of the problem. Do zombies use words like "encountering," "obstacle," "leveraging"? Can they distinguish between hollow-core wood and steel fire doors? If so, can they articulate the difference? Do they use complex sentences with multiple subordinate clauses? Not any that I've known.

So now I need a style that's primitive, feral even. Simple words. Simple sentence structure. Perhaps fragmented stream-of-consciousness -- once I figure out what passes for zombie consciousness.

Should be fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie Comer said...

LOL, well I hope you'll share the zombie mind when you figure it out. There may be more than one reason I've never written zombies...

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home