Thursday, March 03, 2005

Soundtrack Snippets

One of the things I've always liked about Stephen King's writing is that on major section-break pages he lists 1-3 snippets of song lyrics that have something to do with the action coming up in the next section. I know other authors do it, but I encountered it first with SK, so he gets the credit (another author who makes good use of introductory quotes is Chris Well in Forgiving Solomon Long).

Since its inception, Revival was always going to have a snip from The Call on the separator page for the final section:
"Preacher cried out, 'Hell's been raised!'
The preacher cried out, 'Hell's been raised!' "

--Oklahoma (The Call)


I'm looking at a snip from Simon & Garfunkel to open Day 1:
"I can gather all the news I need on the weather report."

--The Only Living Boy in New York (S&G)


And for either the Day 2 (Maya dies and comes back to life) or Day 3 (Hymnsing):
There are rumors about the bank account,
Affairs and double dealings
But faith sneaks up like a mischievous child,
And you find yourself believing
I could be deceived, but I believe
That I just got a healing from

Evangeline
Evangeline
(don't know what's really there inside of her)
Revival queen, Evangeline
(does a miracle occur somehow in spite of her?)

--Evangeline (Daniel Amos)


Possibly just the chorus on the Evangeline quote, who knows?

That's where I'm at right now. I still need five or so more, but it's early yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home