Monday, August 15, 2005

Who is Panhu?

All the writing books offer the same advice: Since you never know when inspiration will hit, keep a notepad with you at all times; keep one on your nightstand, too. Being me--and related to the people to whom I'm related--I'm gonna learn the hard way.

And so, I spent forty-five minutes or so the other day trying to recover the ideas I had been so keen on earlier that morning before I got out of bed.

Since then I've kept a notepad on the nightstand. Used it a couple times, too. Like this morning: I got an idea about some mannerisms a character can use when he's uncertain if what he's seeing is real or if it's just "pink elephants." I reached over, grabbed a pen and scribbled away, then went back to sleep.

When I got out of bed, I looked at the notepad: Panhu bolked. I tried to remember what I had been thinking of when I wrote that down. No help (that's why I wrote it down, so I could forget what I was thinking). Who is Panhu and why is he (she?) bolking. And what's bolking mean? And can I write that without doing hard time in Purgatory?

Fortunately the next sentence cleared thing up. "Th grl was still thire."

Ah, yes. My resident Otis Campbell witnesses the coming-back-to-life of young Maya Daniels. He can't believe his eyes. How to test his vision for accurate perception of reality?

Paulie (aka Panhu; apparently he was a sherpa at some point in his backstory) blinked (or, bolked, in that special Himalayan way). The girl was still there.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: <sheesh>

Maybe there's a course I can take on semi-somnambu-scripting and improve my half-awake penmanship. If you know of one, please let me know.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~michelle pendergrass said...

You've got me sides splittin' open!! :)

When I was younger, I was very much into dream therapy. (well, it's not so much therapy anymore) but I'm still into it. I keep the "dream notebook" next to my bed and it has gotten to the point that I would write full dreams while still asleep. It is fascinating.

However, I've had many, many, Panhu's. I have yet to figure out the Lucky Charms coming out of the toilet in flourescent sparkly color.

We'll have to trade notes. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home