Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Thick skin

Lately I've been reading Some Writers Deserve to Starve! 31 Brutal Truths about the Publishing Industry. Yesterday morning I made it partway through the entry on critique groups (Truth #23: Not all critique groups are critique groups). I stopped off at the subhead "The Etiquette of Giving Critique" (p. 183 if you're following along at home), put my bookmark in and got on with my life.

A few hours later I got my first rejection notice.

Last night I picked up where I left off in SWDtS! and noticed the pull-quote just above the subhead: "Developing rhino skin is part of the process of becoming a writer." Anybody want to needlepoint that into a sampler for me?

Those you who know me know I love rhinos. Those of you who know of me through the faith*in*fiction message board or my blogspot message posts know that I use Spider-Man villain Rhino as my avatar (see left). If rejection is the means to the end of rhino skin development, then bring it on. (Publishing a piece now and again would be nice too, though.)

What's a guy have to do to get the cool rhino horns to grow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home