Thursday, February 03, 2005

I Shift the Sheriff

The section of the story where David Graham meets Sheriff Woo has returned to its original location on Wednesday. Not that I'm anywhere near working on Thursday - or Wednesday. I just finished with Tuesday this evening and realized that the chapter needed to move back to where it started in the outline.

I originally moved it to Thursday so it would give Graham something to do in the late afternoon and he could talk to the sheriff more specifically about Gantt and his possible intentions for the town. But those are lame reasons to delay meeting Graphite's Top Cop for another day (I'd like him to at least have a walk-on role on Tuesday, but where and when I don't know yet).

The advantages to a Wednesday interview include the opportunity for Jacob to appear sullen around Graham, which gets set up on Tuesday night. Also, Wednesday was looking pretty thin, so this'll bulk that section of the book up a bit. Plus Graham asks Woo to look into Gantt's past and this'll give him an opportunity to do that without dropping everything to handle an out-of-town writer's request.

All-in-all, I think it makes the story better.

Then again Woo didn't start unpacking after I relocated his chapter, so maybe he knows something I don't.